You’ve likely put some thought into your New Year’s resolutions already. Have you resolved to make more cash in 2016? Regardless of whether you want to tuck more cash away for a rainy day or achieve another aspiration (like finally taking that family vacay to Disney World), financial goals often top people’s resolutions list.
Luckily, boosting your income can be as simple as purging your home of any items just collecting dust. Getting paid to declutter your home is a way many people are bringing in extra cash each month. But creating a compelling listing that catches a buyer’s eye is an art that requires some practice. Whether you’ve just joined VarageSale or are a seasoned seller, there’s always room to improve your sales game. Here’s how newbies and experts alike can sell more than ever in 2016:
- Declutter, declutter and then declutter some more! (Did you know your home is filled with forgotten treasures that could earn you thousands of dollars of extra cash?)
- Always use an actual photo of your item, not a stock photo. (Not only will a stock photo give buyers the impression that your item is brand new, it won’t be as attention grabbing as a “real life” item with your own personal touches.)
- Avoid these five mistakes when taking photos of your items.
- Get noticed by bumping your unsold items, when permitted.
- Reduce the price of an item by 10% (or more!) if it hasn’t sold in 2 weeks.
- Give your item an alluring name. (Gorgeous Guess Heels vs. Old Pair of Shoes.)
- Make sure the item description is detailed enough that buyers know what they are getting but not so detailed that they’ll get bored reading it. Yes, it’s a fine balance—but it is possible to walk that fine line!
- Take a hard look around your home, attic and storage space to find any hidden gems (think vintage items and novelty or specialty goods in high demand) that may bring in some extra cash. Your home could be a seller’s goldmine—it just takes a trained eye to spot the treasures.
- Tell the truth when you’re describing an item. That means closely inspecting your items before listing them and noting any defects or cosmetic damage (like nicks, scratches, dents, etc.). The more honest you are about the quality, the better your reputation as a seller, and the more sales you will make in the long run.
- When someone shows interest in an item, respond in a timely manner. (Within 12 hours? Okay. 1 hour? Great! 15 mins? You’re a star!)
- Engage in a little buying yourself. If you actively buy items from members of your buy and sell group, they will recognize your name and be more willing to purchase an item from you.
- Make sure the item you are selling is actually worth money. If it looks like it’s ready for the trash, put it in the trash.
These aforementioned tips are surefire ways to help you amp up your selling game in the new year.
Do you have other tips that will help you sell more in 2016? Share your advice in the comments below.